Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!

Bug 440214 (first-time-messages)

Summary: [tracker] packages with emerge messages that can be improved by checking the previous installed version
Product: Gentoo Linux Reporter: poletti.marco
Component: [OLD] UnspecifiedAssignee: Gentoo Quality Assurance Team <qa>
Status: UNCONFIRMED ---    
Severity: enhancement CC: creffett, gentoo_eshoes, pacho
Priority: Normal Keywords: Tracker
Version: unspecified   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---
Bug Depends on: 440218, 440424, 440444, 440452, 440476, 440478, 440484, 440494, 440538, 440598, 457598, 440216, 440410, 440412, 440414, 440416, 440418, 440420, 440422, 440426, 440428, 440430, 440432, 440434, 440436, 440438, 440440, 440442, 440446, 440448, 440450, 440454, 440456, 440458, 440460, 440462, 440464, 440466, 440468, 440470, 440472, 440474, 440480, 440482, 440486, 440488, 440490, 440492, 440496, 440498, 440500, 440502, 440504, 440506, 440508, 440510, 440512, 440514, 440516, 440518, 440520, 440522, 440526, 440530, 440532, 440534, 440536, 440540, 440542, 440544, 440546, 440548, 440550, 440552, 440554, 440556, 440558, 440560, 440562, 440564, 440566, 440568, 440570, 440572, 440574, 440576, 440578, 440580, 440582, 440584, 440586, 440588, 440590, 440592, 440594, 440596, 440600, 456068, 457594, 457596, 458624, 509382, 509384, 509386, 509994, 509996, 510000, 510784, 554722    
Bug Blocks:    

Description poletti.marco 2012-10-30 07:40:43 UTC
Some packages provide error messages that are only relevant when upgrading from a specific version or only when doing a fresh install of the package (no upgrade).

For example, a message saying "From version 4.0 feature X changed" should only be displayed when the previous version is <4.0.

Also, messages providing a quick-start for how to use a package should not be displayed again every time the package is upgraded.

This bug is the tracker version of Bug 440178.


Reproducible: Always
Comment 1 Michał Górny archtester Gentoo Infrastructure gentoo-dev Security 2012-10-31 15:15:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Some packages provide error messages that are only relevant when upgrading
> from a specific version or only when doing a fresh install of the package
> (no upgrade).
> 
> For example, a message saying "From version 4.0 feature X changed" should
> only be displayed when the previous version is <4.0.

Have you considered the case when user had an old version, removed it and some time later installed a new version? The config files were likely preserved, and the messages may still be relevant.

> Also, messages providing a quick-start for how to use a package should not
> be displayed again every time the package is upgraded.

Maybe. But there are cases when it may be relevant:

- when the message was specific to a USE flag which was not enabled before,
- when user reinstalls the same version just to see the messages again.

Not that I'm opposed. I just have my doubts I'd like someone to address.
Comment 2 Michael Weber (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2012-10-31 19:25:15 UTC
It would make sense to test, if the config file is missing.

An `! has_version net-dns/dnssec-tools` does not test for the presence or absence of an config-file, just if it was presently installed. So you test is wrong.

The test makes no sense in src_* functions, since it might be distributed and pkg_* functions get relevant.

It might make sense to test for the config file in ${EROOT} inside of pkg_postinst, but it might be relocated.

So, you end up looking for the config file to be specified inside /etc/conf.d/${PN}, sure.
Comment 3 poletti.marco 2012-10-31 21:08:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> [...]
> Have you considered the case when user had an old version, removed it and
> some time later installed a new version? The config files were likely
> preserved, and the messages may still be relevant.

Yes, this could happen. So I guess that we should always display such messages when installing a package from scratch.

> > Also, messages providing a quick-start for how to use a package should not
> > be displayed again every time the package is upgraded.
> 
> Maybe. But there are cases when it may be relevant:
> 
> - when the message was specific to a USE flag which was not enabled before,

This can (and in my opinion should) be checked.

> - when user reinstalls the same version just to see the messages again.

This is something that is not supported by the commands I suggested.
And yes, the user may expect to get the same messages every time a package is re-emerged.
By displaying the messages only once (and no more for updates), we break this expectation.

An (ugly, IMHO) workaround would be to always display all messages when a package is re-emerged (with the same version).
However, this may be even more surprising for the user, since re-emerging a package after an update may show more messages than the update itself.

> Not that I'm opposed. I just have my doubts I'd like someone to address.

Sure. I always appreciate constructive criticism.
Comment 4 Xake 2012-10-31 22:24:00 UTC
How does this handle if a message is added to a revision?

Say a message is specified to only show up when a package is freshly installed. And it was added to package-x.y-r1. Will it show up for a user that had package-x.y installed?

For example "We know xyz does not work, and we have no intention of adding it. Do not file bugs about it." set to show up for first-time-install will show this message?
How about added to the same revision (tolerated IIRC because it does not change the installed files)?
Comment 5 Ryan Hill (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2012-11-01 02:14:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> For example, a message saying "From version 4.0 feature X changed" should
> only be displayed when the previous version is <4.0.

I agree with this.  We have some packages that refer to changes/breakages that haven't been relevant in years (eg. pleas to run revdep-rebuild for a soname change that happened a dozen versions ago).

> Also, messages providing a quick-start for how to use a package should not
> be displayed again every time the package is upgraded.

But not this.  The info may be beneficial, and the cost is effectively zero.
Comment 6 poletti.marco 2012-11-01 07:01:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> How does this handle if a message is added to a revision?
> 
> Say a message is specified to only show up when a package is freshly
> installed. And it was added to package-x.y-r1. Will it show up for a user
> that had package-x.y installed?
> 
> For example "We know xyz does not work, and we have no intention of adding
> it. Do not file bugs about it." set to show up for first-time-install will
> show this message?
> How about added to the same revision (tolerated IIRC because it does not
> change the installed files)?

In both cases, the message wouldn't show up.
The message also wouldn't show up if the user has package-(x-1) installed and upgrades to package-x.

Maybe for such messages the version check is not the right thing to do, and we should have some system in place (say elog-handler) that remembers which messages the user has seen and which not. So the ebuild developers could mark a message as "Just show this once" if they want, and the user would be able to get all the messages for a package when they want, without re-emerging (say with "elog-handler get package-x").

I guess that we should move this discussion to the mailing-list, rather than here in this bug. If someone does, please CC me.
Comment 7 poletti.marco 2012-11-01 07:05:26 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> [...]
> > Also, messages providing a quick-start for how to use a package should not
> > be displayed again every time the package is upgraded.
> 
> But not this.  The info may be beneficial, and the cost is effectively zero.

The motivation behind these bugs is that a user updating his/her own system currently gets a lot of such messages, and risks missing the important ones IMHO.
As I said in comment 6, the way I suggested may not be the best one to solve this problem.
Comment 8 poletti.marco 2012-11-01 21:05:06 UTC
As William Hubbs noted in bug 440410, the has_version check sould not be done in pkg_postinst - if it's really needed it should be run in pkg_preinst and stored as a flag, and that flag should be used later in pkg_postinst.

As several people noted, another possibility is to check REPLACING_VERSIONS instead (if only the version needs to be checked, and not the use flags).