Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package sys-fs/udev-171-r8, the following elog messages are displayed:
* udev-171 does not support Linux kernel before version 2.6.32!
* Updating persistent-net rules file
* You need to add udev-mount to the sysinit runlevel.
* If you do not do this,
* your system will not be able to boot!
* Run this command:
* rc-update add udev-mount sysinit
* persistent-net does assigning fixed names to network devices.
* If you have problems with the persistent-net rules,
* just delete the rules file
* rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
* and then reboot.
* This may however number your devices in a different way than they are now.
* If you build an initramfs including udev, then please
* make sure that the /sbin/udevadm binary gets included,
* and your scripts changed to use it,as it replaces the
* old helper apps udevinfo, udevtrigger, ...
* mount options for directory /dev are no longer
* set in /etc/udev/udev.conf, but in /etc/fstab
* as for other directories.
* If you use /dev/md/*, /dev/loop/* or /dev/rd/*,
* then please migrate over to using the device names
* /dev/md*, /dev/loop* and /dev/ram*.
* The devfs-compat rules have been removed.
* For reference see Bug #269359.
* Rules for /dev/hd* devices have been removed
* Please migrate to libata.
* For more information on udev on Gentoo, writing udev rules, and
* fixing known issues visit:
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'sys-fs/udev'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
" * udev-171 does not support Linux kernel before version 2.6.32!"
actually makes sense for every install... helps a lot with choosing what version to run... every udev ebuild should state this if possible :)
If this is the desired behavior, then feel free to close this bug.
i'll see if this can be improved a bit -->
done, but only for ~arch and live ebuild. since this is so minor fix, we can wait until 195 or newer stabilizes. here you can see the changes:
+ 01 Nov 2012; Samuli Suominen <email@example.com> udev-195.ebuild,
+ Use REPLACING_VERSIONS to print out upgrade related messaging only when
+ required wrt #440462 by "poletti.marco"