Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package app-crypt/pinentry-0.8.1, the following elog messages are displayed:
* We no longer install pinentry-curses and pinentry-qt SUID root by default.
* Linux kernels >=2.6.9 support memory locking for unprivileged processes.
* The soft resource limit for memory locking specifies the limit an
* unprivileged process may lock into memory. You can also use POSIX
* capabilities to allow pinentry to lock memory. To do so activate the caps
* USE flag and add the CAP_IPC_LOCK capability to the permitted set of
* your users.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<app-crypt/pinentry-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'app-crypt/pinentry' || has_version '<app-crypt/pinentry-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
Fixed in main tree.