Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package dev-lang/php-5.3.15, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Installing php.ini for cli into /etc/php/cli-php5.3
* Make sure that PHP_TARGETS in /etc/make.conf includes php5-3 in order
* to compile extensions for the 5.3 ABI
* This ebuild installed a version of php.ini based on php.ini-development version.
* You can chose which version of php.ini to install by default by setting PHP_INI_VERSION to either
* 'production' or 'development' in /etc/make.conf
* Both versions of php.ini can be found in /usr/share/doc/php-5.3.15
* For more details on how minor version slotting works (PHP_TARGETS) please read the upgrade guide:
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<dev-lang/php-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'dev-lang/php' || has_version '<dev-lang/php-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 440574 ***