Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package net-misc/openssh-5.9_p1-r4, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Starting with openssh-5.8p1, the server will default to a newer key
* algorithm (ECDSA). You are encouraged to manually update your stored
* keys list as servers update theirs. See ssh-keyscan(1) for more info.
* Remember to merge your config files in /etc/ssh/ and then
* reload sshd: '/etc/init.d/sshd reload'.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<net-misc/openssh-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'net-misc/openssh' || has_version '<net-misc/openssh-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
should be all set now in the tree; thanks for the report!
Commit message: Only show ecdsa key message when upgrading from older versions, and drop USE=pam warning wrt valid shells as people should know this