Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package net-dialup/ppp-2.4.5-r1, the following elog messages are displayed:
* If the following test report contains a missing kernel configuration option that you need,
* you should reconfigure and rebuild your kernel before running pppd.
* Pon, poff and plog scripts have been supplied for experienced users.
* Users needing particular scripts (ssh,rsh,etc.) should check out the
* /usr/share/doc/ppp-2.4.5-r1/scripts directory.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'net-dialup/ppp'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
(In reply to comment #0)
> * If the following test report contains a missing kernel configuration
> option that you need,
> * you should reconfigure and rebuild your kernel before running pppd.
About this message, if that is true, shouldn't ebuild die when that such important options are not complaint? Otherwise, people could break "ppp" if they cannot rebuild kernel just after building ppp. For this, ebuild should simply drop "~" from checks.
Also, probably this checks should be done at pkg_pretend instead of pkg_postinst phase.
I guess that is because you can build it on a system different than the one finally using it. Then, I guess the message can be keep and use readme.gentoo.eclass if you want ;)