Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package mail-client/alpine-2.00-r4, the following elog messages are displayed:
* This build of alpine has Maildir support built in as
* part of the chappa-all patch.
* If you have a maildir at ~/Maildir it will be your
* default INBOX. The path may be changed with the
* "maildir-location" setting in alpine.
* To use /var/spool/mail INBOX again, set
* "disable-these-drivers=md" in your .pinerc file.
* Alternately, you might want to read following webpage, which explains how to
* use multiple mailboxes simultaneously:
* In order to use spell checking
* emerge app-dicts/aspell-\<your_langs\>
* and setup alpine with:
* Speller = /usr/bin/aspell -c
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<mail-client/alpine-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'mail-client/alpine' || has_version '<mail-client/alpine-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
+ 29 Nov 2012; Eray Aslan <firstname.lastname@example.org> alpine-2.00-r5.ebuild:
+ Don't elog messages all the time - bug #440570