Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package app-vim/gentoo-syntax-20120109, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Note for developers and anyone else who edits ebuilds:
* This release of gentoo-syntax now contains filetype rules to set
* fileencoding for ebuilds and ChangeLogs to utf-8 as per GLEP 31.
* If you find this feature breaks things, please submit a bug and
* assign it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use the 'ignore-glep31' USE
* flag to remove these rules.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<app-vim/gentoo-syntax-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'app-vim/gentoo-syntax' || has_version '<app-vim/gentoo-syntax-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
Fixed in >=gentoo-syntax-20130619.