Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.25-r1, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-driver ebuild.
* If alsa-driver works for you where a *recent* kernel does not, we want
* to know about this. Our e-mail address is email@example.com
* However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
* upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'media-libs/alsa-lib'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
current alsa-lib ebuilds don't have postinstall messages