Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package app-portage/layman-1.4.2-r3, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Select an overlay and add it using
* layman -a overlay-name
* If this is the very first overlay you add with layman,
* you need to append the following statement to your
* /etc/make.conf file:
* source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
* If you modify the 'storage' parameter in the layman
* configuration file (/etc/layman/layman.cfg) you will
* need to adapt the path given above to the new storage
* Please add the 'source' statement to make.conf only AFTER
* you added your first overlay. Otherwise portage will fail.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'app-portage/layman'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
This has been fixed in the latest layman-2.0.0_rc4 and -9999 ebuilds. Those elog/ewarn messages have been moved into into a layman-updater script which is run at install to perform checks and a change in layman's files. It also will create a file needed if it is a new install, and display only the relevant messages.
There is not going to be any further releases of the 1.x series. I will be releasing 2.0.0 final very soon, with stabilization 30 days after that. I am waiting on a change to the repositories.xml file that layman downloads. It will become a gpg signed file which will only the 2.x and later series will be able to use.
This change is not worth doing as 1.x versions will be removed as soon as 2.0 is stabilized.