Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r2, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Starting from version 20080801, pambase optionally enables
* SHA512-hashed passwords. For this to work, you need sys-libs/pam-1.0.1
* built against sys-libs/glibc-2.7 or later.
* If you don't have support for this, it will automatically fallback
* to MD5-hashed passwords, just like before.
* Please note that the change only affects the newly-changed passwords
* and that SHA512-hashed passwords will not work on earlier versions
* of glibc or Linux-PAM.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<sys-auth/pambase-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'sys-auth/pambase' || has_version '<sys-auth/pambase-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
should be all set now in the tree; thanks for the report!
Commit message: Drop old elog message as it applies to versions more than 5 years old