Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.25-r1, the following elog messages are displayed:
* To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of
* saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should
* add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as
* root like so:
* # rc-update add alsasound boot
* The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through other
* means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in alsa-utils.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'media-sound/alsa-utils'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
fixed for 1.0.26-r2 which will be the stable version soon, very soon