Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package app-editors/vim-core-7.3.409, the following elog messages are displayed:
* Vim 7 includes an integrated spell checker. You need to install
* word list files before you can use it. There are ebuilds for
* some of these named app-vim/vim-spell-*. If your language of
* choice is not included, please consult vim-spell.eclass for
* instructions on how to make a package.
* Note that the English word lists are no longer installed by
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<app-editors/vim-core-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'app-editors/vim-core' || has_version '<app-editors/vim-core-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
Already conditionalized enough in current versions.