Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package net-fs/samba-3.5.15, the following elog messages are displayed:
* The default value of 'wide links' has been changed to 'no' in samba 3.5
* to avoid an insecure default configuration
* ('wide links = yes' and 'unix extensions = yes'). For more details,
* please see http://www.samba.org/samba/news/symlink_attack.html .
* An EXPERIMENTAL implementation of the SMB2 protocol has been added.
* SMB2 can be enabled by setting 'max protocol = smb2'. SMB2 is a new
* implementation of the SMB protocol used by Windows Vista and higher
* For further information make sure to read the release notes at
* http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.5.15.html and
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is upgraded from an old enough package (and possibly for new installs).
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if has_version '<net-fs/samba-1.0'; then
Or, if the message should also be displayed for new installs:
if !has_version 'net-fs/samba' || has_version '<net-fs/samba-1.0'; then
Remember to replace 1.0 with the right version number.
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.