Disclaimer: this bug has been filed in a semi-automated manner.
When emerging the package net-misc/modemmanager-0.5.2.0-r3, the following elog messages are displayed:
* To control your modem without needing to enter the root password,
* add your user account to the 'plugdev' group.
* If your USB modem shows up as a Flash drive when you plug it in,
* You should install sys-apps/usb_modeswitch which will automatically
* switch it over to USB modem mode whenever you plug it in.
Such messages should only be displayed when the package is a new install.
These situations can be checked in the ebuild as follows:
if ! has_version 'net-misc/modemmanager'; then
See the tracker bug 440214 for more details.
this is done in 0.7.991