As part of our policy, http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_Java_Policy/ we require
that all .jar files are built entirely from source code whenever possible.
Among other things, this means that a package is not allowed to install
"bundled" jar files, such as junit.jar, xml-apis.jar, etc. Rather, they should
add these libraries in their RDEPENDS, and use java-pkg_jar-from to set up
the build environment before invoking ant (or whatever other build tool is
The typical procedure for removing bundled jars is:
1) ebuild dev-java/<packagename>/<packagename>-<version>.ebuild unpack
2) (As root) Inspect /var/tmp/portage/<packagename>/work/ for .jar files
3) Create or modify the src_unpack in the ebuild to
3.1) Remove all bundled .jar files by rm <list-of-jarfiles>
3.2) Install symbolic links for the required jars using java-pkg_jar-from
4) Update the RDEPENDS to ensure the require libraries are available to
5) Recompile and test that everything works.
6) Submit a patch for the ebuild.