See the bug I added to the URL, the problem lies in the internal copy of Xxf86vm that SDL comes with. There is also an Xv copy in there. I guess that if we followed policy and made SDL use the system copies, it would be much better; there has to be one way to do so, I hope?
P.S.: the workaround I used for now was EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-video-x11-vm" that makes SDL work to an extent.
it isnt as simple as you think. they internalize and then modify. see bug 115243.
best to just fix the issue in libsdl and open a report upstream so they'll eventually get to it if they havent already.
Now I saw this bug also when I move Gimp from one Virtual Desktop to another one within XFCE4. I think it is not only SDL, I need to check if this is nvidia driver related.
Created attachment 179364 [details]
Crash where console is fubar, but we recovered the X trace
Maybe someone can take a peak if this is related. Again X has issues; and I want to blame Mozilla Firefox this time.
Stefan, your issue does not seem related, by the way the latest libsdl still has problems, and the extra econf workaround does fix the problem for me once again..