Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 354643 - [tracker] issues that need to be fixed before the next live dvd is released
Summary: [tracker] issues that need to be fixed before the next live dvd is released
Status: CONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Release Media
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LiveCD/DVD (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: High normal (vote)
Assignee: Team Anniversary
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: Tracker
Depends on: 354639 355469 356981 356985
Blocks:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2011-02-12 18:50 UTC by William Hubbs
Modified: 2018-02-02 02:33 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2011-02-12 18:50:09 UTC
This bug tracks issues that need to be fixed before the next live dvd is released.
Comment 1 Fitzcarraldo 2011-03-11 19:59:14 UTC
Downloaded livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso and checked the MD5SUM:

[code]$ md5sum livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso 
85454611d638f6f735c376ac94c41f1b  livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso[/code]

Used VirtualBox 4.0.2 r69518 to try it out on a Core i7 laptop:

$ uname -a
Linux meshedgedx 2.6.37-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Feb 17 12:32:03 GMT 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

The LiveDVD boot menu entries 'Gentoo x86' and 'Gentoo x86 nofb' boot to a working desktop without problem. 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and 'Gentoo x86-amd64 nofb' both stop booting at:

:: Scanning for sata_qstor...sata_qstor loaded.
:: Scanning for ahci...libahci, _
Comment 2 Fernando (likewhoa) 2011-03-11 20:03:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Downloaded livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso and checked the MD5SUM:
> 
> [code]$ md5sum livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso 
> 85454611d638f6f735c376ac94c41f1b  livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso[/code]
> 
> Used VirtualBox 4.0.2 r69518 to try it out on a Core i7 laptop:
> 
> $ uname -a
> Linux meshedgedx 2.6.37-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Feb 17 12:32:03 GMT 2011 x86_64
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> 
> The LiveDVD boot menu entries 'Gentoo x86' and 'Gentoo x86 nofb' boot to a
> working desktop without problem. 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and 'Gentoo x86-amd64 nofb'
> both stop booting at:
> 
> :: Scanning for sata_qstor...sata_qstor loaded.
> :: Scanning for ahci...libahci, _

VirtualBox-4.x seems to be very unstable on the image and those freezes are random and I haven't been able to track it down. Most users should not run into this since they will boot outside of VirtualBox. 

If you want to boot it from a VM do it with qemu-kvm which is much more stable than VirtualBox in my testing.
Comment 3 Fitzcarraldo 2011-03-11 21:28:50 UTC
1. Installed qemu-kvm:

# emerge -1v qemu-kvm

2. Added myself to the kvm group:

# gpasswd -a fitzcarraldo kvm

3. Loaded the module for my Intel Core i7 CPU:

# modprobe kvm-intel

4. Checked the module was loaded:

# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel              39148  0 
kvm                   183285  1 kvm_intel
#

5. Created QEMU image file:

# qemu-img create -f qcow qemu_disk.img 3G

6. Launched the ISO in QEMU:

# qemu -cdrom /home/fitzcarraldo/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso -hda qemu_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d

Selected boot menu entries 'Gentoo x86' and booted to a working desktop.

7. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected  'Gentoo x86 nofb' and booted to a working desktop.

8. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and boot process froze at Gentoo splash screen.

9. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected 'Gentoo x86-amd64 nofb' and the following message was displayed and the boot process stopped:

Loading /boot/gentoo64........
Loading /boot/gentoo64.igz..............ready.
This kernel requires x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
_
Comment 4 Fernando (likewhoa) 2011-03-11 22:28:48 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> 1. Installed qemu-kvm:
> 
> # emerge -1v qemu-kvm
> 
> 2. Added myself to the kvm group:
> 
> # gpasswd -a fitzcarraldo kvm
> 
> 3. Loaded the module for my Intel Core i7 CPU:
> 
> # modprobe kvm-intel
> 
> 4. Checked the module was loaded:
> 
> # lsmod | grep kvm
> kvm_intel              39148  0 
> kvm                   183285  1 kvm_intel
> #
> 
> 5. Created QEMU image file:
> 
> # qemu-img create -f qcow qemu_disk.img 3G
> 
> 6. Launched the ISO in QEMU:
> 
> # qemu -cdrom /home/fitzcarraldo/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso -hda
> qemu_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d
> 
> Selected boot menu entries 'Gentoo x86' and booted to a working desktop.
> 
> 7. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected  'Gentoo x86 nofb' and booted to a
> working desktop.
> 
> 8. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and boot process
> froze at Gentoo splash screen.
> 
> 9. Repeated Step 6 and this time selected 'Gentoo x86-amd64 nofb' and the
> following message was displayed and the boot process stopped:
> 
> Loading /boot/gentoo64........
> Loading /boot/gentoo64.igz..............ready.
> This kernel requires x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
> Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
> _

You need to be in the kvm group first all and instead of qemu use 

qemu-kvm -smp 2 -m 1024m -boot d -cdrom /home/fitzcarraldo/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso -hda qemu_disk.img

"-smp 2" means to allocate 2 cpu cores, also if your CPU doesn't have the "lm" CPU flag in /proc/cpuinfo you won't be able to boot 'Gentoo x86-amd64' as shown above.

Good luck.
Comment 5 Fitzcarraldo 2011-03-11 23:07:08 UTC
Thanks, Fernando V.

I checked in /proc/cpuinfo and the "lm" flag is set.

I should have: a) logged out from the root user's account after I added my account to the kvm group; b) created the disk image file under my account, not the root user's account; c) launched qemu (well, qemu-kvm) whilst logged into my account, not as root user. Fixing those, along with using the correct qemu-kvm command you gave me, now allows me to boot 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and 'Gentoo x86-amd64' to a working desktop in a qemu-kvm window. Thanks again.
Comment 6 Fernando (likewhoa) 2011-03-12 23:04:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Thanks, Fernando V.
> 
> I checked in /proc/cpuinfo and the "lm" flag is set.
> 
> I should have: a) logged out from the root user's account after I added my
> account to the kvm group; b) created the disk image file under my account, not
> the root user's account; c) launched qemu (well, qemu-kvm) whilst logged into
> my account, not as root user. Fixing those, along with using the correct
> qemu-kvm command you gave me, now allows me to boot 'Gentoo x86-amd64' and
> 'Gentoo x86-amd64' to a working desktop in a qemu-kvm window. Thanks again.

You're welcome but next time if you see another bug report with [TRACKER] in title don't make comments on it, instead file a separate bug and assign it as a blocker for the [TRACKER]. 

I figure others might run into this same issue hence why i responded to your query here instead of asking you to open a separate bug. Anyways, glad i was of help and hopefully others will benefit from it.
Comment 7 Vlad Maslov 2018-01-29 12:36:42 UTC
I hope the last bug depend #354639 will be fixed soon and new LiveDVD will be released soon.

Current LiveDVD is too obsolete (2016-07-04).