>>> Emerging (17 of 19) media-video/vlc-1.0.0
* vlc-m4-1.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* vlc-1.0.0.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* vlc-patches-63.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* Please unmerge vlc-0.9.x first before installing vlc-1.0.0
* If you don't do that, some plugins will get linked against
* the old vlc version and will not work.
* ERROR: media-video/vlc-1.0.0 failed.
media-video/vlc-1.0.0 should block previous versions in the dependencies rather than at build-time. Even if emerge isn't able to automatically resolve the blocker, this would enable the block to be manually resolved before build-time, preventing a world update from only partially completing.
vlc links at build time to the libraries of installed vlc and 2.2_rc33 of portage tries to handle it automatically leading the end result of vlc broken..
don't think it can be done
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 270953 ***
*** Bug 340064 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***