For example every time you upgrade tcl you get:
* Messages for package dev-lang/tcl-8.4.15:
* If you're upgrading from tcl-8.3, you must recompile the other
* packages on your system that link with tcl after the upgrade
* completes. To perform this action, please run revdep-rebuild
* in package app-portage/gentoolkit.
* If you have dev-lang/tk and dev-tcltk/tclx installed you should
* upgrade them before this recompilation, too,
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
So I propose we add some variables like
for upgrade PREVIOUS_VERSION="8.3"
This way the ebuild could detect where we are upgrading from and only give the messages when one is really upgrading.
ive resorted to "has_version" in pkg* functions in the past which sucks and can be unreliable ... having the package manager tell the ebuild the transition state would be nice
EAPI 4 has been approved by the council.