After upgrading from openssl-1.1.x to openssl-3.x, I get the following preserved libs:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: dev-libs/openssl-3.0.3
* - /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1
* used by /usr/src/linux-5.15.36-dist/scripts/extract-cert (sys-kernel/vanilla-kernel-5.15.36)
* used by /usr/src/linux-5.15.37-dist/scripts/extract-cert (sys-kernel/vanilla-kernel-5.15.37)
A couple possible solutions:
1. Disable CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYRING and CONFIG_SYSTEM_REVOCATION_LIST by default. This would prevent extract-cert from being built.
2. Add the necessary dependencies to kernel-build.eclass and kernel-install.eclass.
The RDEPEND setting is technically incorrect if we are cross-compiling. A possible alternative would be to remove the "extract-cert" binary from the installation image.