Created attachment 651328 [details]
emerge --info output
Upon doing some world upgrades the other day computer booted almost all the way and looked like got a Seg Fault. But was too far along to be that most likely. So did interactive boot. Skipped Foldingathome-7.5.1 and booted up. After numerous test to make sure, booted up and started foldingathome and computer locked up.
Been running Foldingathome (FAH) since this covid thing started.
1) Noticed something in emerge at beginning about not having CONFIG_DRM & CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER set when it should be. But the Gentoo Wiki on nvidia-drivers says: 'If direct rendering does not work' to disable in the kernel. So have always had it disabled. So enabled these and recompiled the nvidia-drivers after rebuilding and installing kernel changes. Hasn't changed anything and direct rendering still says is YES.
2) Since the nvidia-drivers had been upgraded suspected that. On the previous one had to get opencl working and noticed this had installed without useflag uvm. So remerged with uvm useflag. NOGO.
3) Upgraded FAH to 7.6.13. NOGO
4) Upgraded other packages that had to do to get opencl,.. working for FAH.
This is what it wanted to upgrade nvidia-cudo-toolkit and sdk.
[ebuild NS ] sys-devel/gcc-8.4.0-r1 [9.2.0-r2, 9.3.0-r1] USE="-mpx%"
[ebuild N ] dev-util/opencl-headers-2020.03.13-r1
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/ocl-icd-2.2.12-r3 [2.2.12] ABI_X86="-32*"
[uninstall ] app-eselect/eselect-opencl-1.1.0-r4
[blocks b ] app-eselect/eselect-opencl ("app-eselect/eselect-opencl" is locking dev-util/opencl-headers-2020.03.13-r1, dev-libs/ocl-icd-2.2.12-r3)
[ebuild U ] virtual/opencl-3-r1 
[ebuild R ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-450.57 USE="uvm*"
[ebuild U ~] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit-10.2.89-r2 [10.2.89-r1]
[ebuild U ~] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk-10.2.89 [10.1.243] USE="-opencl*"
That didn't work either. NOGO.
3) Everything else seems to be working fine since the recent world update. SO:
Downgraded the nvidia-drivers to 440.100-r1 since the previous one was using (440.82-r3) wasn't avail anymore. WORKS!
So the only thing I did today after testing if still locked up was to downgrade the nvidia-drivers and reboot.
Result: # /etc/init.d/foldingathome status
* Executing: /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/foldingathome status
* status: started
And computer not locked up.
* Couldn't find anything in the logs about foldingathome except for last time it was started, before this happened. Xorg.0.log.old didn't show anything (My next boot after 1st lockup was skipping FAH, so if something was going to show there it should not have been over written by subsequent boot).
That is all got at this moment. FAH is now running after nvidia-driver downgrade.
Looks like nvidia-drivers-450.57 isn't even on the list anymore so don't know if this is even relevant.
Currently have nvidia-drivers-440.100-r2 and foldingathome-7.6.13 and system is working fine. Since the possible problematic nvidia-driver isn't in the list anymore maybe this should just be closed.