Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 671950 - [Tracker] Package fails to build with FEATURES=distcc-pump in configure: error: <wchar.h> cannot be used with this compiler
Summary: [Tracker] Package fails to build with FEATURES=distcc-pump in configure: erro...
Status: CONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Current packages (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Gentoo Cluster Team
URL: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug...
Whiteboard:
Keywords: Tracker
Depends on: 663154 665214 671952 672754
Blocks:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2018-11-26 11:57 UTC by Thomas Deutschmann
Modified: 2019-07-16 17:18 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Thomas Deutschmann gentoo-dev Security 2018-11-26 11:57:10 UTC
Package is failing in configure phase with

> checking whether <wchar.h> uses 'inline' correctly... no
> configure: error: <wchar.h> cannot be used with this compiler (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -march=sandybridge -mtune=sandybridge ).
> This is a known interoperability problem of glibc <= 2.5 with gcc >= 4.3 in
> C99 mode. You have four options:
>   - Add the flag -fgnu89-inline to CC and reconfigure, or
>   - Fix your include files, using parts of
>     <https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=b037a293a48718af30d706c2e18c929d0e69a621>, or
>   - Use a gcc version older than 4.3, or
>   - Don't use the flags -std=c99 or -std=gnu99.
> Configuration aborted.

config.log will show something like

> configure:21565: checking whether <wchar.h> uses 'inline' correctly
> configure:21590: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -c -O2 -pipe -march=sandybridge -mtune=sandybridge  conftest1.c >&5
> configure:21593: $? = 0
> configure:21612: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -c -O2 -pipe -march=sandybridge -mtune=sandybridge  conftest2.c >&5
> configure:21615: $? = 0
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: conftest2.o: in function `main':
> conftest2.c:(.text.startup+0x0): multiple definition of `main'; conftest1.o:conftest1.c:(.text.startup+0x0): first defined here
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: conftest1.o: in function `main':
> conftest1.c:(.text.startup+0x1): undefined reference to `zero'
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/8.2.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: conftest2.o: in function `main':
> conftest2.c:(.text.startup+0x1): undefined reference to `zero'
> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> distcc[20786] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed
> configure:21628: result: no
> configure:21631: error: <wchar.h> cannot be used with this compiler (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -pipe -march=sandybridge -mtune=sandybridge ).
> This is a known interoperability problem of glibc <= 2.5 with gcc >= 4.3 in
> C99 mode. You have four options:
>   - Add the flag -fgnu89-inline to CC and reconfigure, or
>   - Fix your include files, using parts of
>     <https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=b037a293a48718af30d706c2e18c929d0e69a621>, or
>   - Use a gcc version older than 4.3, or
>   - Don't use the flags -std=c99 or -std=gnu99.
> Configuration aborted.

This was tracked down to the following gnulib commit: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commit;h=285334ca5ac8f537bc183abd121aa68984e5a515

Due to that it is expected that many more packages will start to fail building using distcc once they have updated bundled gnulib.
Comment 1 Michał Górny archtester Gentoo Infrastructure gentoo-dev Security 2018-12-08 17:39:55 UTC
This is yet another breakage caused by distcc-pump.  As I've told multiple times, don't use that.  Ever.  You can try convincing Portage maintainers to finally ban it.
Comment 2 Mikle Kolyada archtester Gentoo Infrastructure gentoo-dev Security 2018-12-08 21:41:07 UTC
(In reply to Michał Górny from comment #1)
> This is yet another breakage caused by distcc-pump.  As I've told multiple
> times, don't use that.  Ever.  You can try convincing Portage maintainers to
> finally ban it.

I do not believe that crosscompilation can be treated as "to-be-fixed-in-gentoo* at all, at any level, therefore I am always wondering why we have bugs about it, most of them are about WONTFIX anyway.