Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 551020 - sys-fs/e2fsprogs whole device check is inconsistent
Summary: sys-fs/e2fsprogs whole device check is inconsistent
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: [OLD] Core system (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Gentoo's Team for Core System packages
Depends on:
Reported: 2015-06-02 17:04 UTC by Richard Yao (RETIRED)
Modified: 2015-07-09 10:25 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---

Removal of whole device check (patch,1.48 KB, patch)
2015-06-02 17:04 UTC, Richard Yao (RETIRED)
Details | Diff

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Richard Yao (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2015-06-02 17:04:42 UTC
Created attachment 404470 [details, diff]
Removal of whole device check

Making a filesystem with a raw block device will semi-randomly prompt asking if we are sure. This is because `check_plausibility()` assumes that the Linux device numbering code assumes that raw block devices are assigned minor versions that are 0 modulo 64, when modern Linux systems are 0 modulo 16.

A patch was submitted to upstream yesterday. It has signed-off from myself and  reviewed-by from Andreas Dilger:

HEAD moved the code that needs to be patched from misc/util.c to misc/plausibility.c, so the upstream patch does not apply to distribution packaging. I have taken the liberty of attaching a backported version of the patch.

I realize that upstream has not had time to process this yet, but my collegues insisted that I file issues with major distributions to request this patch be backported anyway. If I should have waited for a solution to be merged upstream, please let me know so that I can pass that information on to my collegues.
Comment 1 Richard Yao (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2015-06-15 13:41:03 UTC
This patch has been accepted by upstream:
Comment 2 SpanKY gentoo-dev 2015-07-09 10:25:30 UTC
unless it's a critical issue, or there's another revbump coming up (i don't think there is?), then i'd just wait for the next release