rox-base/rox is scheduled for removal from the portage tree. It is old, messy, and depends on zeroinstall-injector. Maybe all of rox-base will be removed. The filer itself is easy to keep in the tree and very useful. See the url for examples of users wanting to use rox-filer. The attached ebuild installs rox-filer very cleanly without using zeroinstall and runs well from my local overlay. It assumes a package name of rox-filer, NOT the old name of simply rox, and could be added (back) into the tree at rox-base or app-misc (along with other file managers).
Created attachment 394654 [details]
I noticed an error in that ebuild -- it lists perl as a dependency where the dependency should be python27.
(In reply to sitquietly from comment #2)
> I noticed an error in that ebuild -- it lists perl as a dependency where the
> dependency should be python27.
On checking properly I realized that rox-filer does not create python classes and does not require python. Perl is needed at build time for the src/makedist script. So the stated dependencies seem ok.
Created attachment 394732 [details]
I corrected the original ebuild to use ebuild functions to install files and added the previously overlooked Templates.ui file.
Created attachment 394778 [details]
rox-filer-2.11.ebuild (final version)
The previous ebuild was amended using MY_P to allow the ebuild to be named either "rox-2.11" or "rox-filer-2.11", and dependencies were cleaned up to remove extraneous depends. If the rox-base category is to be removed then the rox filer ebuild should be placed at either app-misc (like emelfm2) or at x11-misc (like pcmanfm and qtfm). If it is placed outside of the old rox-base category then I think it would be clearest to name the package "rox-filer" instead of just "rox". Thanks to help from ppurka on the Gentoo forums.
Sorry, sitquietly. I think I removed perl from the dependencies while making changes. I already had perl installed, so the emerge went ok.
Created attachment 394820 [details]
rox-filer-2.11 ebuild (final version)
Added back perl to the dependencies.
Comment on attachment 394820 [details]
rox-filer-2.11 ebuild (final version)
Some comments to the last version of your ebuild:
- if it's rox-filer, we don't need to rename it to rox, but keep it in app-misc/rox-filer. So you can drop MY_P
- Please remove stable keywords and keyword as testing (e.g. ~amd64) on arches you have tested the ebuild.
- Replace "prepare failed" with "sed failed". You might want to use sed -i -e
- Use econf instead of ../src/configure, if you use econf you can drop || die here.
- Use emake instead of make, if you use emake you can drop || die here.
- Please create a separate desktop.file, and install it from FILESDIR.
can you add ~arm to keywords please?
i've ran rox on a few arm devices
(In reply to zlice from comment #9)
> can you add ~arm to keywords please?
> i've ran rox on a few arm devices
checked local ebuild without reading this one - nevermind
Created attachment 395794 [details]
Latest ebuild with fixes
I have made the changes you requested except for the change to use econf.
The configure script refuses to run from the ../src directory, and it also doesn't work if I symlink it to the build directory. Using econf will require us to start patching the configure script, which could be more error prone.
I have keyworded only ~amd64 and ~arm in the ebuild. ~x86 should also work, but I don't have any x86 box at present.
Created attachment 395796 [details]
This is the desktop file.
(In reply to P Purkayastha from comment #11)
I guess you're willing to maintain this ebuild via proxy maintainers?
As I'm currently lacking time to have a closer look at the ebuild, I added proxy-maintainers herd, so someone else can work with you to include this package into the tree before rox gets removed.
Yes, I can maintain the package. Thanks for your help.
Created attachment 398470 [details]
what I've changed.
1) keyword x86
2) convert to econf with in source build patch
3) convert to dosym (better than ln)
1) QA issue
* QA Notice: Pre-stripped files found:
2) I can think of still improving it, better distill a patch, and report to upstream (may add "-lm -ldl" according to glibc version)
econf LIBS="-lm -ldl"
I've only do a compile test, check files installed here.
so can you guys still do a run time test (I'm running out of time today).
Created attachment 398472 [details, diff]
in source build patch
Created attachment 398474 [details]
here is a sample of metadata.xml, I'd still prefer you guys give out real name I'd trust real man rather than virtual ID ;-), although this is not compelling thing.
you can also give your irc nick if you have, example (may give nice notification)
<name>Yixun 'dlan' Lan</name>
for metadata.xml's limitation, I can only list one as primary maintainer (bug assign to), others will be CCed.
also you can still improving this file, add "long description", "upstream info"
Created attachment 398524 [details]
Modified metadata.xml with updated information.
I have checked the application. Works fine after installation.
+*rox-filer-2.11 (10 Mar 2015)
+ 10 Mar 2015; Yixun Lan <firstname.lastname@example.org> +rox-filer-2.11.ebuild,
+ +files/rox-filer-2.11-in-source-build.patch, +files/rox.desktop,
+ initial import, bug 537388, thanks Punarbasu 'ppurka' Purkayastha, sitquietly
I've put Punarbasu as primary maintainer based on his quick response and bugzie's activity.