mail-client/evolution-3.* crashed without gnome-base/dconf installed.
I got two desktop boxes using lxdm/openbox-session without a gnome desktop.
- I use evolution
- I got gnome-base/dconf installed and GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf in my environment positionned by /etc/env.d/51dconf.
- gnome-base/dconf is a dependencie of app-emulation/virt-manager-0.10.0-r2 (gtk ? gnome-base/dconf) and not from mail-client/evolution
- Evolution works perfectly.
- I decided to use evolution but it crashed at launch time with a segmentation fault.
- gnome-base/dconf is not installed and GSETTINGS_BACKEND=gconf in this environment positionned by /etc/env.d/50gconf.
- Solution: installation of dconf and take in consideration the new environment to get GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf, then evolution works.
So dconf seems to replace gconf on gnome 3 applications and evolution-3.xx needs it. dconf must be a direct dependencie of dconf on desktop not using gnome (at least).
This will probably affect to a lot of other packages relying on glib/dconf schemas, not sure if maybe would be interesting to make it an RDEPEND at gsettings-desktop-schemas, as it is usually in RDEPEND of this kind of packages
@gnome, any thoughts?
what about running with GSETTINGS_BACKEND="memory" ?
(In reply to Gilles Dartiguelongue from comment #2)
> what about running with GSETTINGS_BACKEND="memory" ?
With use of memory backend, you can't use the gnome keyring.
evolution crashed (segfault) without gnome-base/dconf installed...
same here (amd64 lxde desktop)
Please provide a backtrace as I guess evolution should fallback to "memory" if needed
I can confirm all.
I spent hours on thisevolution segfault, and finaly found this bug.
I use evolution under kde on 4 PC. On 3, I have gecko-mediaplayer which require gmtk which require dconf. I forgot to install it on 4th, so evolution segfault.
I just installed dconf, and evolution works like a charm.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 498436 ***