I've posted this question in the forums and over IRC but have so far received no suitable answer. I've got a difficult problem with the gentoo-sources series that I'd like to solve, but I don't know how. Here's the situation:
* gentoo-sources-2.4.20 is excellent, except my MP3 player won't work. If I connect it (via USB) I get very sporadic behaviour: sometimes the device simply isn't detected, sometimes it mounts but when I umount it all the songs are deleted, and other oddities.
* gentoo-sources-2.4.25 is not excellent. The USB works properly with the player but the workstation is visibly slower. If I watch an avi with mplayer or other applications the video and audio skip about every 2 minutes. Screen redraws when switching KDE desktops cause the machine to momentarily freeze. Not acceptable.
* vanilla-sources-2.4.26 is slower than gentoo-sources. You all have gone a good job with the gentoo-sources patchset.
* 2.4.26 with the lck1 patches applied has performance similar to gentoo-sources-2.4.25
* 2.6 works great, but my DSL card has a binary only driver that works only for 2.4 so far, so at the moment it's out of the question.
So you see, I have a conundrum. I want it all: USB working, no video or audio skipping. I'm willing to apply manual kernel patches, etc. As far as I can tell, I need to either
a) apply some USB patches to 2.4.20
b) apply some speed patches to 2.4.25
c) something else?
Thanks for your assistance
Are you using preempt with gentoo-sources-2.4.25?
I copied my .config from 2.4.20 to 2.4.25 and made oldconfig. In 2.4.20 I am using preempt, so if preempt is in 2.4.25, I was using it. So to answer directly, afaik yes.
I'm testing 2.4.25-r2 again to see if perhaps I built it on a bad day or something. I notice that 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency' doesn't work anymore. Perhaps this is the cause of slowness? What happened to the lowlatency patch?
A lot of patches were removed from gentoo-sources due to
the MANY instability issues, and to make the kernel more maintainable.
Can you tell me how I get the patches from an earlier version of 2.4.20? I understand that for many folks it was unstable, but for me it was perfect, and I want my machine to run smoothly again. I think I'm most intersted in the low latency patches.
How well does gentoo-sources-2.4.26 work for you?
There is nothing that is x86 specific, that's why I'm assigning it to
email@example.com instead of firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com is part of metadata.xml and that's where bugs should go for this. Supposedly. If you wish to change it; please feel free to do and then bounce this bug back :-)...
Please reopen bug with info requested in comment #6
Closed due to lack of info.