My proposal is extend portage to gathering compilation logs for later analyze.
1. User select "I_WANT_IMPROVE_GENTOO=1" in make.conf.
2. USER="", PASS="" - There may be ability to send reports and view them online by entering user and pass.
3. # emerge -av package
a)portage check, if is used --nodeps, some totally crazy things and if so, then omit sending report
b) if overlay, check if has enabled sending report
a) When compilation successed, send emerge --info, with pkg and version.
b) When fails, same as a), but add build.log
1. gather information (+ remove duplicates, ignore junk)
2. make stats (most often failed packages)
3. deep analyze - package mostly fails with this flag, this compiler, this binutils etc.
1. xz compressed data ?
2. defined address where to send data for analysis
* simple BuildBot integrated in portage
* linking from bug to already created report (no need paste emerge --info and fail log)
* devs can see, what failing most often, what to focus to
Please bring this to the gentoo-project mailing list.