Recent media-libs/fontconfig-2.10.92 stabilization (bug #481824) brought a rendering regression in media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130126.
The mplayer2's OSD (audio volume indicator, etc.) became corrupted -- some characters instead of the special symbols (bars, etc.) are displayed instead. This issue was discussed on Arch forum <https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161456> and as stated in the last post and as I confirm hereto, subsequent media-libs/fontconfig-2.10.93 release fixes this issue (changelog <http://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/release/ChangeLog-2.10.93>).
I propose to stabilize media-libs/fontconfig-2.10.93 to resolve this problem.
Same here, fontconfig-2.10.93 fixes it.
Confirming this. Also, upgrading to media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130428-r1(while preserving media-libs/fontconfig-2.10.92) fixes problem as well.
I confirm that upgrading to media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130428-r1 fixes this. I did not try upgrading fontconfig, though.
Petr, i suggest to use mpv instead of mplayer2: a lot other bugs are fixed in it.
*** Bug 519712 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***