Created attachment 356078 [details]
I got the advice to file a bug about my gnome 3.8 not starting anymore with systemd.
journalctl -b in the attachment.
This is what the guys in the chat already analysed. I'm sorry I'm no big help with the problem.
(11:41:48) TomWij: thorus: Line 1250 - 1254 tell there is some internationalization problem, which might cause the later UTF-8 issues perhaps. Apart from that, on line 1255 there is an ibus connection refused error; this has something to do with the i18n so you might try to toggle that. That's at least what I think is relevant to the JS errors it gives near the end, but might not cause the actual black screen; I'm reading
(11:43:36) TomWij: thorus: ^ There's definitely something going on with gnome-settings-daemon; and that, as was with my case, can cause it to give a black screen like that. Could you report that as a bug at https://bugs.gentoo.org ? The line before that is also interesting and might be pretty relevant. (Line 1213 - 1217)
(11:44:24) TomWij: thorus: There's more going on reading further, when I see "Aug 12 08:59:01 ctr-051 gnome-keyring-daemon: Gck: gck_module_new: assertion `funcs != NULL' failed
(11:46:05) TomWij: thorus: "Aug 12 08:59:01 ctr-051 systemd: Failed at step PAM spawning /usr/lib/systemd/systemd: Operation not permitted" is pretty fatal as well; sounds like some permission issue, but I do not get why. Perhaps it has something to do with the pam file changes I told you earlier that you need to correct, doing a strace could help figure out what it is exactly trying to do here.
(11:50:06) TomWij: thorus: Ah, that wasn't ConsoleKit, I looked it up. So, as a summary you are experiencing (1) a PAM failure, (2) a failure with GCK, which is a wrapper module to pass some introspection data, (3) gnome-settings-daemon not able to retain its connection and (4) some internationalization issues. I think (3) is a consequence of (1) and that (2) and (4) are less of an issue. Could you therefore report (3) and
(11:50:08) TomWij: refer to (1)?
The immediate cause of the crash is that there is something wrong with your system clock: GnomeDesktop.WallClock().clock is returning null, and since that's something which should never happen, gnome-shell crashes.
Errors like 'Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't happen!' are also suggestive of something clock-related...
Please attach the output of "emerge --info systemd gnome-shell gnome-settings-daemon gnome-desktop gdm gjs gobject-introspection glib"
Created attachment 356080 [details]
But my system time is set? When I invoke date after a fresh boot I'm getting the correct time.
Interesting. Most of the other errors I get too in my logs, and they are not fatal as far as I can tell.
Possibly gnome-desktop's clock library is failing because of locale or internationalization issues? You have a lot of "Locale not supported by C library" warnings in the log.
So how to change that. After every boot I have to do loadkeys de, because of an english keyboard. Refering to http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Locale it's not possible yet to set this via systemd.
could fix the problem by changing my locale settings in /etc/env.d/02locale from LANG="de_DE.ISO8859-1" to LANG="de_DE.utf8"
This is a known bug
I don't need to run loadkeys at all and I am running systemd, and I used that wiki page for doing it :| The only problem was it still needing the env.d file for locales (like with openrc)
It is known problem, which is not fixed upstream, if the non unicode locale is in use wall clock returns NULL instead of time string, and this possibly causes many crashes
We cannot do much more until upstream doesn't fix this
*** Bug 478390 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***