Created attachment 344080 [details]
After an upgrade of texinfo from 4.x to 5.x, git fails to re-emerge due to numerous issues with its texinfo documentation.
Created attachment 344092 [details, diff]
Strip @anchor commands from gitman.texi
This fixed the issue for me.
I can confirm this bug -- I can submit the build log, but its those anchor commands which all say previously defined!
I posted my patch upstream, see URL. While the maintainer acknowledges the problem, he voiced doubts concerning my solution, but doesn't offer any alternatives. Judging from the activity patterns on other issues, I'm not sure we'll see new activity on this any time soon. I wouldn't hold my breath for git upstream to fix this soon. Therefore I suggest the Gentoo addresses this at the distro level. Possible alternatives:
1. include my patch from comment #1
2. completely drop the generation of gitman.info
3. ship pre-built info documents like bug #464092 does
4. change the dependency from sys-apps/texinfo to <sys-apps/texinfo-5
5. come up with a better fix, e.g. include node name in anchor text