Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 457656 - media-sound/clementine (while scanning media) - segfault in TagLib::File::find(TagLib::ByteVector const&, long, TagLib::ByteVector const&) () from /usr/lib64/
Summary: media-sound/clementine (while scanning media) - segfault in TagLib::File::fin...
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Current packages (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Fat-Zer
Keywords: UPSTREAM
Depends on:
Blocks: 588908
  Show dependency tree
Reported: 2013-02-15 06:17 UTC by Brendan Jurd
Modified: 2016-08-08 20:59 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Brendan Jurd 2013-02-15 06:17:57 UTC
On starting up the Clementine music player, it begins to scan the music collection.  It gets to a particular Ogg file, and the application suddenly quits with a segfault.

I ran clementine in a gdb, the top of the backtrace is as follows:

#0  0x00007ffff3452221 in ftell () from /lib64/
#1  0x00007ffff7180c64 in TagLib::File::find(TagLib::ByteVector const&, long, TagLib::ByteVector const&) () from /usr/lib64/
#2  0x00007ffff716b5f3 in TagLib::Ogg::File::nextPage() () from /usr/lib64/
#3  0x00007ffff716b9fc in TagLib::Ogg::File::packet(unsigned int) ()
   from /usr/lib64/
#4  0x00007ffff7171a81 in TagLib::Vorbis::File::read(bool, TagLib::AudioProperties::ReadStyle) () from /usr/lib64/
#5  0x00007ffff7171c8a in TagLib::Vorbis::File::File(char const*, bool, TagLib::AudioProperties::ReadStyle) () from /usr/lib64/
#6  0x00007ffff71a4fe5 in TagLib::FileRef::create(char const*, bool, TagLib::AudioProperties::ReadStyle) () from /usr/lib64/
#7  0x00007ffff71a5e2f in TagLib::FileRef::FileRef(char const*, bool, TagLib::AudioProperties::ReadStyle) () from /usr/lib64/
#8  0x0000000000549118 in TagLibFileRefFactory::GetFileRef(QString const&) ()
#9  0x0000000000555812 in Song::InitFromFile(QString const&, int) ()

From the backtrace it looks like the problem may be in taglib rather than clementine?

I have media-sound/clementine-1.0.1-r1 and media-libs/taglib-1.8-r1.

The files in question are Ogg Vorbis files, and if I run them through ffmpeg the metadata is displayed without any trouble.  I also had no difficulty with these file under amarok.

Most Ogg files in my collection are scanned by clementine with no trouble, there are just a few that trigger this segfault.  If I move those particular files out of the way, the segfaults don't happen.  What's weird about it is other Ogg files ripped from the same discs with the same parameters don't trigger the segfault, so I'm at a loss to explain what is different about these files.

I moved the problem files on to my local machine, in case reading the files over samba was somehow involved in causing the problem.  It still segfaulted.

Thanks for your time.
Comment 1 Nikoli 2013-03-12 07:59:53 UTC
Please report bug upstream:
Comment 2 Brendan Jurd 2013-03-12 10:12:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Please report bug upstream:

Reported at
Comment 3 Fat-Zer 2016-08-08 20:59:46 UTC
As far as I understand from the discussion on the upstream bug, the issue was caused by non-utf-8 character in filename, and the crash was resolved in master a while ago, so resent versions (1.3.1 is latest now) should be fine.

If non-critical problems with playing such files persist, they should be discussed with the upstream.