Created attachment 277641 [details]
The new improved ebuild
Transcend installs fine but has no sound on amd64. Since the author thinks it is essential for the game to have good stereo speakers or a headset, sound is important. I stumbled upon a solution, and because the ebuild lacks some features and misses a "die", I have improved it while adding the patch for audio.
1. Sound on amd64 (should work on x86, too) (debian bug #433381)
2. Simplified portaudio build, only builds libportaudio.a
3. Added "die" to that build, was missing because "make" would error out
4. Adhers to CFLAGS now
5. Adds desktop file
6. Bumped EAPI to 3
Created attachment 277643 [details, diff]
The patch for the portaudio version shipped with transcend tarball, from bugs.debian.org
This patch is unmodified and taken directly from the URL attached to this bug. Debian applied it against the extranel portaudio deb and it seems that upstream fixed it, too.
I'd rather fix it with in-tree portaudio, but my C-fu is not good enough. If somebody finds a way, I would like to use it for my yet to be uploaded games-simulation/Cultivation (another gem by Jason Rohrer) ebuild, too.
Also I was not sure on how to get PABLIO installed or even build. In theory, it should be part of the in-tree portaudio, but isn't.
I just want to affirm:
1) The existing ebuild in Portage does compile but does not provide sound under AMD64. More accurately: the game emits a loud, screeching static out of the speaker that is highly painful.
2) The ebuild provided above worked fine for me (once I figured out where to place the patch file) providing the correct game sound.
It seems quite sensible to fix this issue, seeing as dynamic music generation is one of the two key features of the game.
added the debian patch to use the system portaudio library.