You're receiving this bug because the package in Summary has produced _FORTIFY_SOURCE related warnings indicating the presence of a sure overflow in a static buffer.
Even though this is not always an indication of a security problem it might even be. So please check this out ASAP.
By the way, _FORTIFY_SOURCE is disabled when you disable optimisation, so don't try finding out the cause using -O0.
Your friendly neighborhood tinderboxer
Created attachment 248798 [details]
Created attachment 248875 [details, diff]
Patch to bbacpi-0.1.5-r1.ebuild to address overflow, and other issues
This patch makes the following changes:
- Drop dependency on gtk+:2. I can find no indication that any gtk+ headers are included. The package does include libX11 headers, so libX11 is added to DEPEND.
- Fix configure check that appended -lX11 to $LDFLAGS instead of allowing the default handling that appended it to $LIBS. As shipped, I could not compile this package with --as-needed. I am uncertain why Diego was able to do so. Perhaps his binutils is more lenient than mine (2.20.1-r1). With -lX11 moved to $LIBS, I can compile this package.
- Drop unnecessary @CPPFLAGS@ in Makefile.am assignment.
- Delete very old 'missing' so that eautoreconf will add a new one. The old one does not understand --run.
- Fix the overflow reported in comment #0 by converting all calls of fgets to use sizeof on their respective buffers.
Thanks for the patch, but it still doesn't start for me due a missing font:
blackbox: couldn't load default font. please check to
make sure the necessary font is installed '-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*'
+*bbacpi-0.1.5-r2 (25 Nov 2012)
+ 25 Nov 2012; Kacper Kowalik <firstname.lastname@example.org> +bbacpi-0.1.5-r2.ebuild,
+ +files/bbacpi-0.1.5-overflows.diff, bbacpi-0.1.5-r1.ebuild:
+ Fix buffer overflows wrt #338936 by Diego Elio Pettenò <email@example.com>.
+ Thanks to Kevin Pyle for patch. Add missing dependency on helvetica font.
+ Thanks to James Cloos <firstname.lastname@example.org> for providing solution