- If this package can be used as a library and installs Python modules
(*.so or *.py) into site-packages directories, then consider supporting
installation for multiple Python versions.
Please read section "Types of packages" in documentation  to decide
if this package can support installation for multiple Python versions.
- Ensure that the ebuilds do not use deprecated functions or variables.
- Please check if Python 3 is supported by this package. You can temporarily
set Python 3 as main active version of Python to properly test if this
package supports Python 3.
- If this package does not support Python 3:
- Specify dependency on Python 2.
You can use PYTHON_DEPEND helper variable, which should be set before
inheriting of python eclass.
Please read section "Specification of dependency on Python" in
- If this package cannot support installation for multiple versions of
Python, then set active version of Python using
- Ensure that shebangs in installed scripts specify correct version of
Python. If shebangs are too generic (e.g. '#!/usr/bin/python'), then you
can use python_convert_shebangs() to convert shebangs.
(Wrapper scripts generated by python_generate_wrapper_scripts() do not
require any changes.)
Please read section "Shebangs in installed scripts" in documentation .
- To ensure that changes applied to the ebuilds are sufficient, please
temporarily set Python 3 as main active version of Python and test if
this package can be properly installed and if it works at run time.
Please see documentation  for more details.
(In reply to comment #0)
Thank you for your attention to kportagetray and for the helpful documents as
Since Ronan is busy with school currently, I have volunteered to handle both code cleanup and porting for py3k compatibility.
kportagetray is currently simply incompatibly with Python3, but I do hope to rectify that before much longer.
I can update the ebuilds as per suggestions here, but I have not commit access to g-x86 nor kde overlay, so someone else will need to push the changes which I will attach to this bug.
Created attachment 226019 [details, diff]
diff between current and new ebuild w/verbump
fixed ebuild is now in gentoo-x86, -9999 version fixed in kde overlay. Old versions are removed. This bug can be closed.
Note: kportagetray itself appears python3 ready however we depend on dbus-python, which does not support python3
So, since Wizzleby solved all issues, I'm closing the bug.