You're receiving this canned (template-based) bug report because I found a problem with a package during my tinderbox run.
The package in question is running automake (and most likely other autotools) during compile phase by maintainer-mode. You can see in my blog post in the URL field why that's a problem, and how to address the issue, but in general, you don't want maintainer-mode rebuild during compile phase, especially since it can cause multiple run of econf.
The causes of maintainer-mode rebuild are various, but most likely it's because of a patch that changes Makefile.am or configure.ac/in and don't rebuild autotools properly. The way to fix this is almost always to inherit autotools eclass and run eautomake/eautoreconf (as needed; eautoconf should only be used when automake is not involved, which is not the case here) during src_unpack phase.
Created attachment 179106 [details]
Is this resolved in recent versions of maxima?
(In reply to comment #2)
> Is this resolved in recent versions of maxima?
I don't see any call to maintainer mode in my build logs of
maxima. I just had a look at the ebuild and makefile.in files are
touched without ever calling eautoreconf (I'll have to have a look
at the source to see the corresponding .am files).
Worse a makefile is touched during src_configure while
there is also src_prepare.
I think we don't see a second run of configure because
maintainer mode has been switched off upstream rather than by us
doing the right thing in the ebuild.
I assume this to be fixed.
Seems not to be fixed.
OK I put an ebuild for maxima-5.20.1 in the overlay that has a solution
for this problem. I uploaded this version because that was the latest
when I started to work on this problem and we need this version in sage.
I will port the fix to 5.18 (stable) and 5.21 (latest) later.
But I wanted to put something in the overlay that show how it works.
I had some trouble finishing maxima-wish.patch - stupid syntax problem
with ac_arg_with I can't believe it took me almost 5 months to get around it.
I had a simpler version of that patch but I decided to go with something
that would work with use_with.
Fixed in maxima-5.22.1.ebuild by importing Francois' improvements from the science overlay.