dev-libs/expat 2.0.1 failed to make a symlink to /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0, this is needed by media-libs/fontconfig 2.5.0-r1. The result was that the next ebuild that depended on fontconfig failed the linking stage with missing references. This brought my overnight emerge fresh-system to a screeching halt at emerge 6 of 214.
No the symlink is NOT the solution. Please remove the symlink and run revdep-rebuild.
So I was advised by emerge as well. I tried that route, but I got yet other emerge failures.
Really, you claim it is not a bug. I did a "fresh" gentoo install, did emergy --sync, and then emerge kdebase-startkde. And this fails. Yet it is not a bug, how strange. And it is not about removing symlinks, its about _missing_ symlinks. ldd fontconfig.so showed the missing dependency, I created a symlink to libexpat.so.0, and voila, it worked without revdep or rebuilding.
At the risk of being very thick and annoying, I reopen this one more time, and hope someone can explain to me what I did wrong, why I should run revdep to fix a missing symlink, and why this isn't a bug.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 128069 ***