I just noticed when working on my thesis, that after editing embedded tables (OLE object) these tables get corrupted. After editing them, the contents get incredible huge, so not even one cell fits into a table of 15x10cm.
I used the compiled version of openoffice on amd64. This happens using a Gnome and a KDE optimized version, but NOT with openoffice-bin. Also openoffices on windows (2.3.0), Kubuntu (64bit - 2.3.0 RC1) and ArchLinux (32bit - 2.3.0) work just fine, so I fear this is a Gentoo related issue.
I'm not completely sure, but I think I had the same problem with 2.2.1.
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Open a writer file, double click on the embedded (OLE) table to edit it
2.Save the file, close it and open it again.
3.Double click the table again and then click into the text to leave the editing mode.
Now the table is corrupted.
Created attachment 131447 [details]
A simple test file to reproduce the issue.
Created attachment 131453 [details]
Screenshot - before
Created attachment 131455 [details]
Screenshot - after
The big black bar in the frame is just the border of one huge cell...
Please provide your output of "emerge info".
Besides that: Works perfectly fine here with your test file (on x86), so either it's an AMD 64-issue or a problem with CFLAGS overoptimization, openoffice is very sensitive to those things
I investigated further and it seems to be an 64bit issue. (Correction my Kubuntu installation is 32bit). I installed the 64bit edition of openSUSE (latest RC1) and had exactly the same problems. So I installed on this 64bit platform a 32bit build (also an ooo-build edition) of openoffice and the problem disappears.
So I think this is a 64bit issue and not a problem of Gentoo. I thank you very much for your quick response and generally for your work on openoffice on Gentoo.
I am creating an upstream bug report atm.
Upstream bug for this issue:
I have exactly the same results on my amd64 with app-office/openoffice-2.2.1.
This issue has now been fixed upstream and the proposed patch works for me.
Unfortunately the CWS which contains the patch is targeted for openoffice-2.4 (March 08), so table editing would be broken until then.
Perhaps we already could include the patch?
Created attachment 132450 [details]
Fix for this issue
This upstream patch fixes this issue  and also another problem with not properly saved splitviews  on amd64.
This patch is included in the latest version of ooo-build, so the regular updating to the newest ooo-build would be enough to fix this issue.
(In reply to comment #10)
> This patch is included in the latest version of ooo-build, so the regular
> updating to the newest ooo-build would be enough to fix this issue.
I've just bumped the ooo-build-version to 188.8.131.52 (just rebuild openoffice-2.3.0 to get it), so this should be fixed, thanks for pushing this! Closing
(In reply to comment #11)
> (In reply to comment #10)
> > This patch is included in the latest version of ooo-build, so the regular
> > updating to the newest ooo-build would be enough to fix this issue.
> I've just bumped the ooo-build-version to 184.108.40.206 (just rebuild
> openoffice-2.3.0 to get it), so this should be fixed, thanks for pushing this!
As far as I can see this issue was fixed after 220.127.116.11 was released, fortunately 18.104.22.168 was released a few hours ago and is already in portage, so please emerge --sync and try again. Sorry about the inconvenience.