tried to emerge phoenix-cvs, part way through the compile, I got this error:
gcc -o e_sqrt.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.4\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\"
-I/usr/X11R6/include -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include -W -Wno-unused
-Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -mcpu=ultrasparc -O3 -pipe
-Wno-return-type -w -Wno-return-type -w -Wno-return-type -w -s -pthread -pipe
-DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -D_IEEE_LIBM -I/usr/X11R6/include
-include ../../../mozilla-config.h -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -Wp,-MD,.deps/e_sqrt.pp e_sqrt.c
e_pow.c: In function `__ieee754_pow':
e_pow.c:376: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
make: *** [e_pow.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: Leaving directory
make: *** [libs] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-cvs-0.5-r2/work/mozilla/js'
make: *** [tier_2] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/phoenix-cvs-0.5-r2/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2
!!! ERROR: net-www/phoenix-cvs-0.5-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 134, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. emerge phoenix-cvs
build failed to compile.
It should have finished compiling and installed, or, if its known not to build
on the sparc platform, then the apropriate keyword should be removed.
I am attempting to build this on a sunblade 100
I can replicate this, but as cvs is a constantly changing monster and it doesn't necessarily seem that this is a Gentoo problem. I'm going to mark it as Resolved:WontFix and change the keyword to -sparc until such a time that it builds .
Actually, the problem is -mcpu=ultrasparc. This is the same problem as Mozilla, -mcpu=ultrasparc triggers a segfault in this very file. The workaround is to use -mcpu=v8, although it is safe to use -mtune=v9. The optimum solution for this is to add a replace-sparc64-flags() into the phoenix-cvs ebuild to catch any and all instances of -mcpu=ultrasparc and change them accordingly to the save 'v8' value.
Re-opening, will test replacing the flags as Kumba suggests
Adding replace-sparc64-flags fixes the problem. I've added it into the ebuilds and marked then as ~sparc again.