I have latest snapshot of iwlwifi (1.0.0), and I have a problem, sometimes (not all the times though) I have a kernel panic at boot.
I need to reboot many times in order to boot or have the kill switch on to avoid this (in last case, my system hangs when I remove the kill...)
I reported it upstream and they asked me if I had all the mac80211-9.x.x patches in kernel. As in bug #185255 there was removed a deadlock, I was wondering if this patches are really needed, and if so, asking a version bump with them.
This is the upstream report (with more info of kernel panic):
I have more panic examples, (in the above bug it occurred when unloading module, but I'll post more info as needed of the new kind of panic)
Another upstream example, this one with gentoo-sources:
Maybe this is all related to mac80211 and needs an urgent upgrade (in the meanwhile 2.6.23 is released?)
In upstream GIT repos , you can see that the stable branch has a commit after the 1.0.0 release which works around a kernel panic bug. See this commit: .
Can you try saving the patch from  (the plain link at the top), copy the iwlwifi ebuild to a local overlay, and apply the patch from the ebuild?
Awesome, I actually forgot to include the links ...
/me goes to drink more coffee
I don't know how to patch files :(
I will read some documentation and try.
David, like this:
- Copy the iwlwifi directory to a local overlay.
- Save the patch under , with the 'plain' link on that page, as "iwlwifi-kernel-panic-workaround.patch", and copy it to $LOCAL_OVERLAY/net-wireless/iwlwifi/files
- Paste this at the bottom of your LOCAL "iwlwifi-1.0.0.ebuild" (the one you copied in step 1)
- go to the directory where you copied "iwlwifi-1.0.0.ebuild" to, and do
"ebuild iwlwifi-1.0.0.ebuild manifest"
- emerge this new ebuild
- unload & reload iwlwifi module (modprobe -r iwl4965 && modprobe -i iwl4965) or reboot
Done, it compiles and installs. Let's see if it works well..
Thanks for the guide anyway :D !!
Don't close this, let me test for at least 10 days as this bug is not always reproducible. If within 10 days I don't have any other issue, I'll attach new iwlwifi-1.0.0-r1.ebuild and patch and this can be closed.
I think it is included in upstream 1.0.0-1 snapshot, wich is in the main tree, so this should be fixed. Thanks.