I get the followng error message when installing app-admin/python-updater
* checking 1 files for package collisions
existing file /usr/sbin/python-updater is not owned by this package
* This package is blocked because it wants to overwrite
* files belonging to other packages (see messages above).
* If you have no clue what this is all about report it
* as a bug for this package on http://bugs.gentoo.org
package app-admin/python-updater-0.2 NOT merged
Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
Press Ctrl-C to Stop
You need to upgrade to >=dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r4. Just do it first or emerge this w/ collision-protect disabled or whatever. We could stick some blocker there but I'd say it plain isn't worth the PITA.
We can't solve this problem with the older python ebuilds unfortunately. With the new versions python-updater is split out in it's own ebuild, partly to avoid file collisions.
*** Bug 178806 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
It's been suggested that disabling collision-protect in make.conf is a bad idea. As an alternative you might try adding "sys-devel/python ~[your arch]" to /etc/portage/package.keyword. This seems to have worked for me.
*** Bug 217682 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***