There is a great little system for making a centralized Virtual Printer for
printing to PDF files. It would be great to make an ebuild for this system, as I
think more people would use it if they new it existed.
I have emailed the author about doing so, and will post an ebuild for it asap.
It should be a really easy ebuild.
Steps to Reproduce:
ok i'm waiting for the ebuild then :)
Created attachment 9531 [details]
Initial ebuild for cups-pdf
Created attachment 9532 [details]
Source.tar.gz for cups-pdf
Created attachment 9534 [details]
Digest for cups-pdf
As promissed here is an ebuild for this system. Note that the author is not yet versioning this system, but the page says that it is a beta of the 1.0 version, so that is the version I have set on the ebuild. I have emailed the author and asked him if he would be willing to begin versioning the system. I will let you know if he decides on a different intital version number.
Also, I have noted a small flaw in the system where by a users files are not oned by the user. I will submit a patch shortly, and then try to modify the ebuild to apply it. I have also sent the patch to the author for inclusion in the next version.
Created attachment 9535 [details, diff]
Patch for cups-pdfgen to fix owner issue.
Created attachment 9541 [details, diff]
Patch to make the ebuild work and apply the patch to cups-pdfgen
I am a complete dork. The ebuild I submitted is completely broken. Fogive me.
It is my first ebuild ever. :)
Here is a patch that fixes it.
Created attachment 9569 [details]
New ebuild. Matches authors version number and fixes a few bugs.
The author chose a different version number, and further testing reveals a
couple of issues with my ebuild. I am learning though. I think this one has
everything right. If you notice something I have done wrong please let me know
so that I can improve. I intend to write more ebuilds as I find the need, and
want to get them right the first time. ;)
Created attachment 9617 [details]
New ebuild for new version with patch.
The author chose a different patch for the owner issue that avoids a security
issue with my suggeted patch. The version number has been bumped, so this is a
new ebuild to reflect all those changes. :) Share and enjoy.
Hoping that this will go someday into portage, I would like to add that I've been successfully using this ebuild for about two months, and that it's a far better and easier way to produce pdfs than the usual samba trick (at least for people who don't need to do it from windows).
Thanks a lot Nick.
Created attachment 12662 [details]
Oh, I've seen there are new versions. Here is an updated ebuild for the latest
- simplified $DESCRIPTION
- corrected $SRC_URI and $S
- removed the "cups-pdfgen" installation (no more needed, has been merged in
the C code)
- added a README.gentoo because there was no documentation at all (created
from the webpage content)
- set $KEYWORDS to "~x86"
Note that license says it's free software, but not explicitly GPL. So I don't
now exactly what to put in $LICENSE.
Note also that the output directory changed from "/var/tmp/cups-pdf/" to
i'll add it as soon as i'm home again (16.June)
since i'm not the only printing team member now: reassign'in
Created attachment 13907 [details]
Just in case you want the real license, here it is. I've called it "cups-pdf",
I've thought it was appropriate :)
thx, now in portage :)