net-misc/nxserver-freenx is missing a dependency on something related to Xwindows.I noticed this when installing nxserver-freenx on a box that didn't have xorg on it. I emerge icewm, windowmaker and nxserver-freenx-0.6.0 (from the overlay). Things seemed to work fine but the nx window never came up on the client. Eventually I got the "haven't recieved any data from server for a while, do you want to terminate" message. Then I emerged xrdp, which forced an xorg install. While it was installing, I continued to troubleshoot nx and it magically started working before I had change anything. I'm fairly sure this is because the xrdp emerge emerged something that nxserver-freenx should probably depend on.
Unfortunatly, xrdp emerged a lot of stuff, so I'm not sure exactly what package. Maybe I'll figure it out and post it here as a followup, but until then, maybe this will help others in my situation.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Gentoo
2. emerge layman
3. layman -a nx
4. emerge nxserver-freenx icewm # Adding the appropriate stuff to package.use
5. nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge # per pkg directions
6. Connect with your client (make sure you set it to run /etc/X11/Sessions/icewm)
7. Note that authentication and everything else appears to work, but your nx window never appears.
8. Emerge something that emerges X (like xrdp).
9. Connect with the client again. Note that it works now.
NX client didn't open a window
NX Client opens a window
I'll look into reproducing this one, can you tell me which USE flags you used for nxserver-freenx?
Also, which revision of the overlay did you use? (you can run `svn info` in /usr/portage/local/layman/nx to get it) Last overlay ebuilds (as well as the ebuilds now in portage) had a fix for servers without X installed
OK, freenx lacked deps on xauth (for nxsetup) and font-alias (for nxagent)
Fixed in CVS