I was trying to get spell checking working in AbiWord on my slightly minimalist iMac system. For some reason, enchant was failing to find any dictionaries despite aspell and aspell-en being emerged. I'm not sure why that wasn't working (enchant + aspell works fine on my main system) but when I tried to use enchant againt hunspell instead, it still wouldn't work. An strace revealed that it was searching for dictionaries in /usr/share/enchant/ispell and /usr/share/enchant/myspell instead of /usr/share/ispell and /usr/share/myspell. These locations can be changed at compile time using --with-ispell-dir and --with-myspell-dir but I just created symlinks instead, which worked fine.
Same for myspell. Enchant can use myspell dictionaries out-of-the-box, just can't find them. For individual use, a link to /usr/share/myspell works fine, but at distribution level a --with-myspell-dir would be perfect (from enchant(1)).
Created attachment 95561 [details, diff]
diff for enchant-1.2.5 that knows where ispell and myspell are
Added ispell and myspell. The man page doesn't say anything about hspell, and I don't have uspell to test. The patched enchant works with pt_BR myspell/hunspell dict and with en_US but not pt_BR dictionary.
Hi. I spent almost one hour trying to understand why enchant refused to work, until I discovered that it couldn't find the dictionaries and then I found this bug.
This should be fixed ASAP, it's still apply to enchant 1.3.0
Fixed in 1.4.2