Since updating to xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r1, playback of .mp3 and .flac files results in totem terminating after around 14-18 seconds and running totem from the terminal doesn't return any clues. Video files, however, seem to playback with no problems. This random crashing did not happen with xine-lib-1.1.1-r3. I recompiled totem after updating xine-lib, just in case, but that fixed nothing.
Here are my xine-lib and totem USE flags:
[ebuild R ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r1 +X +a52 +aac -aalib +alsa (-altivec) -arts +asf -debug -directfb -dts +dvd -dxr3 +esd -fbcon -ffmpeg +flac +gnome -imagemagick -ipv6 -libcaca +mad +mng -modplug +nls +opengl -oss +samba +sdl +speex +theora +v4l -vcd -video_cards_i810 +video_cards_nvidia -video_cards_via (-vidix) +vorbis (-win32codecs) -xinerama +xv +xvmc
[ebuild R ] media-video/totem-1.2.1 +a52 -debug +dvd +flac +gnome -lirc +mad +mpeg -nsplugin +ogg +theora +vorbis (-win32codecs) +xine +xv
And here is my emerge info:
Portage 2.0.54 (default-linux/amd64/2006.0, gcc-3.4.5, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 184.108.40.206-rms x86_64)
System uname: 220.127.116.11-rms x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
USE="amd64 X acpi alsa audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cairo cdr cli crypt cups dri dvd eds emboss encode esd exif expat fam flac foomaticdb fortran gif glut gmp gnome gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml hal howl imlib isdnlog jpeg lcms lzw lzw-tiff mad mhash mmap mng mp3 mpeg nas ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nvidia ogg openal opengl pam pcre pdflib perl png pppd python quicktime readline reflection samba sdl session speex spell spl ssl svg symlink tcpd tcpwrapper threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userlocales vorbis xine xml2 xorg xpm xv zlib linguas_en_GB userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LDFLAGS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
Please try reproduce with xine-ui, to exclude that the problem is with Totem itself.
Also, try to get a backtrace for it:
- add to your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS the flag "-ggdb";
- rebuild xine-lib and totem/xine-ui;
- open a console and run the command "ulimit -c unlimited";
- run in that console totem/xine-ui with the path of a file which makes them crash;
- it will tell you the core was dumped, look in your directory for a file named "core" or "core.123456" (the digits are the PID of the dead program);
- now run the command "gdb `which xine` --core core" (replace xine with totem if you're trying with totem, and core with core.123456 if it was generated with the PID);
- in gdb, run the command "thread apply all bt full", and save the output on file;
- attach the file here.
If the output of the gdb command is too long to be simple to grab, use this command instead:
gdb `which xine` --core core --batch --quiet -ex "thread apply all bt full" -ex "quit" > xine-backtrace.txt
The problem appears to be with totem (xine-ui doesn't crash), however, no core dump was given so I was unable to follow your instructions past point 4, despite my following them exactly. That said, some console output was generated which may be of interest.
Created attachment 85442 [details]
Totem console output
Oops! I just noticed there were 'debug' USE flags for both xine and totem which I didn't enable. My bad. I'll try again. Sorry.
Ok, after having enabled the debug USE flags and following your instructions to point #4, totem crashes on launch and still no core dump is generated. Some slightly different console output is generated, which I will attach (Totem console output 2.txt).
Created attachment 85445 [details]
Totem console output 2
The debug useflag to xine is not useful to actually test a crash situation, as it enables assertions that might be simple FIXMEs on normal usage.
Anyway, if xine-ui works, the problem is with totem.
I have found a work-around. Disabling 'show visual effects when an audio file is played' in Totem's preferences seems to prevent the crashes.
close this bug per previous comments. Lots of things have changed until now. If you still reproduce with totem 2.16 please reopen.