* checking 10 files for package collisions
existing file /usr/share/man/man5/login.defs.5.gz is not owned by this package
* spent 0.127505064011 seconds checking for file collisions
* This package is blocked because it wants to overwrite
* files belonging to other packages (see messages above).
* If you have no clue what this is all about report it
* as a bug for this package on http://bugs.gentoo.org
package sys-apps/pam-login-4.0.14 NOT merged
No package files given... Grabbing a set.
slon ~ # equery b /usr/share/man/man5/login.defs.5.gz
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/share/man/man5/login.defs.5.gz in *... ]
I can't even get that far on my AMD64 box (profile 2006.0)...
# emerge --deep --update -p world
[ blocks B ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking sys-apps/shadow-4.0.14-r2)
shadow-4.0.14-r1 is stable, stop using shadow-4.0.7-r4