Hi. I'm not sure if I found a bug or I have bug in my grub binary or computer. I
have grub-0.96-r2 with netboot enabled. The netboot option creates
stage2.netboot, which has network related commands (ifconfig, dhcp ...). The
ebuild creates ordinary stage2 without networking. I can use either stage2
without network, or stage2.netboot renamed to stage2 with network. In my
grub.conf (or menu.lst) I have splashimage=... command to define image. With
stage2 without network, grub work fine. But if I copy stage2.netboot to stage2
and setup grub again, the grub will not boot (=grub loads stage1.5 and then
reboots computer or vmware), if the splashimage command is in the grub.conf.
When I comment splashimage command, grub boots fine with stage2.netboot. I did
many tests today so I believe it's a bug, but maybe I'm wrong.
Can you test it? Just do:
1) USE="netboot" emerge =sys-boot/grub-0.96-r2
2) create grub.conf (menu.lst) with splashimage and some kernel
3) install grub (I use root(hd0,3) setup(hd0))
4) reboot system, grub should load normally with image
5) copy stage2.netboot to stage2 (backup original stage2 if you need it)
6) install grub again (I think this step is not necessary because stage1.5 loads
FS driver and grub finds stage2 in directory structure)
7) reboot system: grub writes message about loading stage1.5 and then reboots
machine (it also raises "kernel stack fault (hardware reset)" in vmware and
Thank you for any message.
please file a bug report upstream
or maybe not ... looks like splashimage support is something we add ...
Grub and splash have moved a long time since 3 years ago. Please retest.