This is an odd one, and one I thought was a KDE bug until recently.
My corporate firewall requires password authentication to use the proxy, and provides a PAC file for the proxy configuration. I set up Konqueror to use this PAC file with the "Use the following proxy configuration URL" option in the "Proxy" tab of Konfigure; however, it never prompts me for the proxy password, and eventually gives me a "Timeout on server" error when I try to access any web sites. If, on the other hand, I manually configure the proxy settings, it *does* prompt me for the password and allow me to access internet sites. The downside to this is that I can no longer access intranet sites, as Konquerer attempts to route all traffic through the proxy.
Auto-configuration works as it should under Mozilla, so I thought the problem was with KDE. However, I was recently running the latest version of Knoppix, and configured Konqueror to auto-configure from the PAC -- and it worked! The version of KDE on Knoppix is 3.3.2, the same version that I'm running under Gentoo, so I'm now thinking that this is a Gentoo specific issue.
The only errors that I see being generated (WRT this issue) are:
konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown action : searchProvider
kio (KRun): ERROR: 0x8a05c90 ERROR 49 Timeout on server
Connection was to www.google.com at port 80
Is there a way I can further debug this?
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have an authenticated proxy
2. Provide a PAC file for the proxy
3. Set Konqueror to use the PAC file for proxy settings configuration
4. Attempt to access web sites through the proxy
Konqueror responds with "Timeout on server" error.
Web sites should be accessible through a proxy, configured with a PAC file.
Latest version available: 3.3.2
Latest version installed: 3.3.2
Portage 2.0.51-r8 (default-linux/x86/2004.3, gcc-3.3.2,
glibc-184.108.40.20641102-r0, 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 i686)
System uname: 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.7
Python: dev-lang/python-2.2.3-r1,dev-lang/python-2.3.4 [2.3.4
(#1, Dec 14 2004, 23:35:34)]
dev-lang/python: 2.2.3-r1, 2.3.4
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake: 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.8.5-r2, 1.7.9, 1.4_p6, 1.9.3
virtual/os-headers: 2.4.19-r1, 2.4.22
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms"
USE="16bit X alsa avi bash-completion bdf berkdb bitmap-fonts bootsplash
cdparanoia crypt cups dbmdirectfb divx4linux dnd droproot dv dvd dvdread
encode escreen exif f77 fam fbcon fbdev ffmpeg flac fluidsynth foomaticdb
fortran freetype gcj ggi gif gnuplot gpm iconv imagemagick imap imlib j2ee
junit jython kde koffice-plugin lcd ldap libg++ libwww lzw lzw-tiff mad
maildir md5sum mime mjpeg mng mpeg ncurses ocaml oggvorbis openal opengl
openntpd openssh oracle pam perl physfs png posix python qmail qt readline
real rhino ruby samba sdl servlet-2.4 slang speex spell sqlite sqlite3 ssl svg
tcpd tiff transparent-proxy truetype truetype-fonts unicode usb vim vim-pager
vim-with-x vnc wxwindows x86 xml2 xmlrpc xmms xsl xv yp zlib"
Well, this could still be a kde bug that's not triggered by knoppix default
configuration. There are bugs similar to this one in bugs.kde.org, such as
which suggest to run
# KDE_NO_IPV6=1 konqueror
Yes, that bug does look similar (although my Konquerer never locked up; it just timed out). I tried 'KDE_NO_IPV6=1 konqueror', and when that didn't work, I went in and modified startkde and added an export there. After logging out and back in again, I made sure that KDE_NO_IPV6 was set in Konsole, and then fired up konquerer -- and it still didn't work. So I don't think that the IPV6 issue is one that is biting me.
Thanks for the reply, though.
Since we cannot reproduce your setup, it's difficult for us to be helpful,
sorry. I can only suggest to start editing your .pac file to see if you can
point out a troublesome part. You can start from a minimal config, such as:
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
return "PROXY your.proxy:port";
or something like that (I'm no expert). If you find something interesting, it
could be worth reporting the bug at kde.
See previous comment.
Well, I'm recently running KDE3.4 beta 2, and it seems that the problem has been solved in that branch. The last KDE 3.3 version I tried, Konqueror crashed regularly and had really bizarre behavior with the document references toolbar, but KDE3.4 is -- so far -- much more stable. So, as far as I'm concerned, you can close this bug.