Hi Gentoo devs!
I don't know if the current maintainer of the rdiff-backup ebuild knows about this, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to file a bug about this.
A new maintainer adopted the recently unmaintained rdiff-backup project. It's Otto Kekäläinen who's apparently a full-time Debian developer. Meanwhile, the code base has been moved to https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup
So fortunately, the development of this nice project continues and will likely lead to a Python 3 ported release in the near future.
Is this a fork, or did the old maintainer mention a "transfer" (link?).
Apparently, this isn't a fork but now the official rdiff-backup project. They want to merge all existing forks and efforts of Python 3 porting and maintaining.
The initial mail to the rdiff-backup mailing list can be found here:
Thanks for the report (and posting upstream)! I check that mailing on unregular basis, so appreciate the bug - especially with good news for rdiff-backup future
So if I read all the posts correctly, https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup is now indeed the upstream reference, with most recent active/official contributors onboard (and sol1/rdiff-backup redirects there now)
I updated metadata to reflect this, keeping the bug open until a new release is out (with python 3 support)
The bug has been referenced in the following commit(s):
Author: Bernard Cafarelli <email@example.com>
AuthorDate: 2019-08-22 21:02:16 +0000
Commit: Bernard Cafarelli <firstname.lastname@example.org>
CommitDate: 2019-08-22 21:02:26 +0000
app-backup/rdiff-backup: update github remote-id
Package-Manager: Portage-2.3.72, Repoman-2.3.17
Signed-off-by: Bernard Cafarelli <email@example.com>
app-backup/rdiff-backup/metadata.xml | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
I added 1.4.0 beta (what will eventually become 2.0.0) to tree:
People wanting to try it can unmask it, note that mixing 1.3 and 1.4/2.0 clients and servers does not work (updating an existing backup does work)
So now tracking the proper upstream remote and with a version in tree, marking this fixed