Just emerged the freenx nxserver, and the ebuild spits out the following when merging:
* You need to place your NX key.txt file into /usr/NX/etc/
* If you don't have one already, you can get an evaluation
* key, or purchase a full license, from www.nomachine.com
* To complete the installation, you must create a file called
* '/usr/NX/etc/node.conf'. An example configuration file can
* be found in /usr/NX/etc
Now, it seems to me that the key file is not necessary with FreeNX. Also, there is *no* example node.conf file in /usr/NX/etc that I can see. I imagine that the key reference should just be removed, and that the sample node.conf file should be added.
Fixed in net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.2.2 ebuild.